Prayer: A Path To Spiritual Maturity
Memory Verse: Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. (Luke 18:1, NIV)
Introduction to the study and sermon series:
Prayer is bringing one’s self and desire and hope and feelings and thoughts and troubles and concerns and sufferings and weaknesses and faults and failures and joys and gladness and fears and depression and laughter to the Creator who is in and under and with and around and before and behind everything and everyone all of the time. Prayer is awareness of divinity within and without. It is consciousness focused on the presence of divine essence. Prayer is more than words. Prayer is profoundly conscious intimacy with the One in who’s image we are all created.
Prayer, when married to faith is power. For without faith it is impossible to please the Creator; for those who come to the Creator must believe the Creator exist and is the rewarder of those who diligently seek relationship with the Creator (Pastor Lomax translation. Hebrews 11:6).
The purpose of this study and sermon series is to help us continue maturing spiritually. Maturing spiritually requires conscious, consistent, intentional connection with the Creator. Maturing spiritually is the call to develop the practice of attending to and obeying the inner voice. Maturing spiritually requires us to consistently and honestly align our behaviors with our beliefs. This study and sermon series will provide biblical and theological principles and examples of women and men of scripture and history who actually embodied the practice of prayer.
The Beginning of Lent
- Dates: Wednesday, March 6 & Sunday, March 10, 2019
- Theme: What is Prayer?
- Biblical Text: Philippians 4:6-7
The First Week of Lent
- Dates: Wednesday, March 13 & Sunday, March 17, 2019
- Theme: How and Why Should We Pray?
- Biblical Text: Matthew 6:9-13
The Second Week of Lent
- Dates: Wednesday, March 20 & Sunday, March 24, 2019
- Theme: When Should We Pray?
- Biblical Text: Luke 18:1-8
Third Week in Lent
- Dates: Wednesday, March 27 & Sunday, March 31, 2019
- Theme: Prayers of Intercession
- Biblical Text: 1 Timothy 2:1-3
Fourth Week in Lent
- Dates: Wednesday, April 3 & Sunday, April 7, 2019
- Theme: Prayers of Gratitude
- Biblical Text: 1 Chronicles 16:7-36
Fifth Week in Lent
- Dates: Wednesday, April 10 & Sunday, April 14, 2019
- Theme: Prayer and Faith
- Biblical Text: James 5:13-16
Good Friday, April 19th
The Play: MAAFA (African Holocaust or Great Disaster)
For more information on the MAAFA